Fried rice is the perfect dish…you can make it with leftovers or plan a special version like this one. This fried rice recipe can be made into anything you want using just about any ingredients as well. From chicken, steak, sausage, vegetables, heck, even spam, it’s a great dish on its own or as an accompaniment.
Here’s a great recipe for crab & shrimp fried rice. The main secret is a nice large flat pan (or wok) with a lot of heat for a good fried rice. You’ll want the rice to get just a bit crispy on the edges as you cook it. Keep stirring to a minimum. It ruins the texture and breaks up the rice, rendering it mushy. Instead, gently fold and flip the rice as you’re cooking it.
Feel free to substitute or swap out any of the seasonings, vegetable or protein ingredients to fit your tastes or whatever happens to be in your fridge at the moment. This recipe will make you look like a gourmet chef with your family & friends!
Crab and Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 scallions chopped
- 8 oz lump crab meat
- 12 medium to large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 pinch saffron (if handy)
- ¼ cup sweet peas (frozen ok)
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2-4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- white pepper to taste
- green onions, thinly chopped, for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp peanut oil over high heat in a wok or large flat frying pan until oil begins to smoke.
- Add shrimp and lightly saute, about 30 seconds - 1 minute or until just cooked on the outside.
- Add onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes
- Add rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, saffron, chili and reduce about 1 minute.
- Add sesame oil and eggs and allow to lightly cook until barely firm, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, rice, shrimp and crab and spread thinly and evenly across the surface of the wok or pan. Allow to cook until you hear crackling and edges of rice appear to be getting crispy. Gently fold rice as needed 3-4 times, without stirring, to allow all rice to cook through. Adjust seasonings to desired levels while rice is cooking.
- Remove from heat, garnish with one sliced scallion and serve. Cheers, my friends!
Leave a Reply