Never cleaned a crab before? Here’s a quick video on how to do it along with a simple recipe to make a sweet and sour, spicy sauce to serve it with.
Spicy, Sweet and Sour Crab
Here's a quick way to make and enjoy some a super flavorful crab dish at home!
Author: The Foodie Whisperer
Recipe type: Seafood
Cuisine: Asian Fusion
Serves: Serves 2-4
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup gojujang sauce (available in Asian section of market)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 Dungeness or similar crab (about 1.5 to 2 lbs each)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 green onions, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 gloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 3" of fresh ginger, grated
- Sauce: Melt the butter over a low heat and stir in the gojujang sauce until it is incorporated. Add in the cider vinegar, distilled vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Taste and adjust the gojujang, vinegar and sugar levels to taste for spice, sweet and sour preferences. Remove from heat.
- Spicy Sweet and Sour Crab: Steam the crab for approximately 10 minutes, or 5 minutes per lb to precook. Let cool, clean and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large pot or pan to high heat, or until 1 tablespoon of sesame oil begins to smoke. Add in the ginger and garlic for about a minute and stir rapidly to release the flavor. Add in the green onions and cook for 1-2 minutes to soften slightly.
- Add in the prepared sauce and allow to heat up. Add in the crab, stirring into the sauce and allowing to heat and absorb the sauce, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply